Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Jay About Bluebird BBQ



It is funny, I love BBQ, and I tend to like the Bluebird group's offerings. So why is it I have never been to the BB BBQ joint over on Riverside? Well, it is just such an off the run location. After we had kids it became even harder to justify going to Riverside. I had also heard not great things, mostly having to do with a little much salt. So how did I finally get there after all these years? Well, my wife read that kids eat free and as my folks were in town and we needed to be out of my house for a few hours late one Sunday afternoon... well, f* it, let's check it out!  As usual, my special lady was spot on. We cruised in around 5PM and the place was lively but not packed. There was a party in the side room that looked fun and there were families everywhere. They sat us in a back room giving us plenty of space. Our waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, and patient. There were a ton of things we wanted to try so we went w/ several small plates, dinner for 2, and a couple extra sides.

The buffalo chicken on a biscuit was one of the big hits. Great flavor, well cooked chicken, delicious pickles and a sick biscuit. I liked the asian inspired pulled pork bun sandwich. We all thought the sweet potato pierogies were tasty. The pulled pork was pretty good and they have nice sauces to add flavor. The brisket was tender and delicious w/out having too much fat or gristle. The ribs W/ a maple BBQ mop sauce were great, lot's of meat, w/ a little extra vinegar sauce they really popped. The sides were good as well. The beans had nice flavor and were not mushy, the coleslaw was excellent, and the braised greens and ham almost made you think you were eating healthy. The beer list was pretty solid as well.

I thought the whole thing was pretty great as a stand alone and when you factor in the kid friendliness of the place... well sir, that is 1 3/4 thumbs up and covered in BBQ sauce!

No comments: