Monday, August 3, 2015

Jay About the Shelburne Tap House



So this weekend my family and I moved. Our old farmhouse had closed in around us and we needed a new challenge. Moving is a challenge. A giant sucky challenge. That said we are in and that is great. Our new place is nice and has most everything we want and need (except the grotto and the Fenway picture I want in the mancave). First and foremost I would give a hardy 2 thumbs up to Lowell's moving company. They were professional, courteous, efficient, and friendly. They nailed the quote and then banged out both sides of the move quickly and carefully. I would recommend them without hesitation.

So after unpacking for several hours on Friday we needed a mellow dinner. We decided to cruise to a pretty close spot the Shelburne Tap House. The place that had been in the space was called something like the Shelburne Tavern and was a dump. It felt like you were drinking in a friend's unfinished basement and there was never anyone there.

The new space has been done over and even though it is in a strip mall it is much more inviting, more like a middle of the road tavern/steak house. Wood, darker colors, decent bar area. So apparently Friday was their first night so it was very busy... and very slow. The bar was packed and 80 percent of the tables were full at 7-7:30. I will say that a guy, possibly the owner was keeping an eye on the room and when we were not immediately seated he came to say hello and let us know the hostess would be there soon. Attention to customers is a good sign if nothing else. We sat down and ordered the whole shebang right away. Our waitress was nice but a little over her head. There were large gaps in service and my second beer was not what I ordered and came after I was done eating. First night so I will let that one slip. The food itself was unexceptional. My special lady's salad was Sysco all the way. My burger was fine, I wish it came w/ fries rather than chips. Overall I would say 1 thumb tentatively up w/ a huge caveat... the place is what it is and expectations should be tempered. I think you can take your family and kids will be ok. I also think you can have a decent meal and beer while watching football on a Sunday. And for a local watering hole that is perfectly fine in my book, every neighborhood needs that comfort spot.

Couple side notes... I have reviewed before but the Taverna Khione in Shelburne served up another delicious and inventive meal Saturday night. That is one of the best places locally and woefully under appreciated. Vermonters (or more likely out of towners here for the summer) are terrible diners. They can't get enough of overpriced pub food but anything interesting is met with a "no thanks... I don't like octopus". Sad really.

Avett Brothers put on another solid energy show at the Shelburne Museum. That is a fun venue, well set up, comfortable, beautiful, terrible acoustics. But the Bros. ran though some oldies and newer stuff and just rocked out. It was solid.

Big week for the birds.

No comments: